Sunday, March 5, 2023

 God’s Will 

   When I wake up each morning I thank God for bringing me to another day, asking for His strength and guidance to live this day according to His will.

   I used to think of God’s will in terms of the rest of my life forgetting that this day may, in fact, be the rest of my life.  Therefore, it is enough to seek His will for this day and no more.  If wake tomorrow I will again seek to serve Him for that day.

   As well as desiring to serve God’s will I also pray that I might know His will for me.  I rarely know exactly what God’s will is for me other than to accept it.  But if I don’t know what it is how can I accept it?  Trying to figure this out is like the hamster running on the wheel in its cage; I really don’t get anywhere.  It’s better to just accept it as it comes, knowing His will is always for the best.

   I have recently been reading a book that has helped me better understand how I am to follow God’s will.  It is the story of a priest who was imprisoned, mistreated and abused for many years in Russian prisons during World War II.  He, like me, struggled to understand God’s will.  What he came to realize is that God’s will is to accept each day as it comes, with all the blessings, trials, and troubles it may bring.

   For me too, it makes sense that whatever occurs during this day is always a part of God’s will just like all things are a part of His will.  I don’t always understand and I’m not sure I’m meant to understand.  It takes a strong faith to accept whatever may come and accepting the hardships, even giving thanks for them, helps to increase my faith and my trust in the Lord.

   I try to look at each day as God’s gift to me no matter what it brings.  Whether today brings blessings, sorrows, or both they are a part of God's will.  I pray that I may always accept His will, confident in His love and mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment