Sunday, March 19, 2023

 To Follow Christ 

   “Enter by the narrow gate, since the road that leads to perdition is wide and spacious and many take it; but it is a narrow gate and a hard road that leads to life, and only a few find it.” (Matt 7: 13 – 14) 

   Throughout the gospels Jesus called many to follow Him.  Some listened, many did not.  Today He still calls many to follow Him and still many ignore His call.

   Following Christ is not always easy, nor is it intended to be.  When I consider what it is to follow Him I must look at His life and the way He lived it, trying my best to live by His example.  Jesus did all for the glory of God.  His life was dedicated to obeying the will of the Father.  This is what I must strive for.

   Trying to follow Jesus’ example in my life means to see each day and all that it may bring as the will of God for me at that moment.  Whether it be happiness and joy, or pain and sorrow, I must accept it, confident that all God sends me is for my good.  It’s not necessary that I always understand, just that I accept and give God all praise and glory.

   Ultimately following Jesus may mean suffering rejection, betrayal and persecution just as He did.  It may also mean following Him all the way to Calvary, suffering death rather than deny Him.  Many martyrs have chosen that path, going to their death confident that heaven awaited them.

   To follow Him may not be easy; it may be extremely difficult at times.  But to follow Him is to enter through the narrow gate that leads to the kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment