Tuesday, March 28, 2023

 The Great Liar 

   “He was a murderer from the start; he was never grounded in truth; there is no truth in him at all; when he lies he is drawing on his own store, because he is a liar and the father of lies.” (John 8: 44) 

   The voice of Satan is always the voice of a liar.  Even when he seems to be telling the truth, he is twisting it to his own desires.  He may speak sweet words and lovely thoughts, but they are lies designed to turn a soul from God.

   When I am most at rest in God, when I am at peace within, Satan strikes me the most.  He may not directly attack my faith, but instead will try to raise questions within me.  Am I doing enough?  Is what I’m doing the will of God or my own will?  Am I truly the child of God that I desire to be?  Questioning may lead to doubt and doubt to despair.  If I am in despair my soul is at risk because I am now questioning the promises of Christ.

   I take great comfort in the words of Saint Padre Pio, “Have courage and do not fear the assaults of the devil.  Remember this forever – it is a healthy sign if the devil shouts and roars around your conscience, since it shows that he is not inside your will.”  He has no need to continue attacking those he already owns, taking those who belong to God is his goal.

   When he comes with his temptations and lies, as he certainly will, I must turn to the words of St. Peter, “Be calm but be vigilant, because your enemy the devil is prowling around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.  Stand up to him, strong in the knowledge that your brothers (and sisters) all over the world are suffering the same things.” (1 Peter 5: 8 – 9).

No comments:

Post a Comment