Saturday, March 4, 2023

 Saint Joseph 

   Not a word of St. Joseph’s is recorded in scripture, but his actions speak volumes to those who would listen.  Quietly and without question or doubt St. Joseph accepted all that God asked of him, following His will in all things.

   When I became a Oblate in the Order of St. Benedict at Clear Creek Abbey last October I chose the name of a saint as my monastic name.  I chose Joseph.  My decision was made after much time spent in prayer and contemplation.  Choosing my patron was very important to me, something not to be taken lightly.

   I considered the life of St. Joseph and his part in Christ’s mission.  While little is said of him in scripture, the early church fathers wrote volumes about him and the importance of his acceptance of God’s will in his life.  In the end, I could think of no one I would rather emulate in my that the foster father of my Lord, Jesus Christ.

   The angel of the Lord appeared to our Blessed Mother at the annunciation, and we celebrate her “Yes” to God to bear the savior of the world.  Joseph was also visited by an angel of the Lord calling him to God’s will.  “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary your wife into your home.  For it is through the holy spirit that this child has been conceived in her.” (Matt 1: 20).  Joseph, as Mary had before him, said “Yes” to God’s call.

   Twice more the angel visited Joseph.  Once to warn him of the danger to the baby Jesus, telling him to flee with his family to Egypt (Matt 2: 13) and again when it was safe for them to return to Israel (Matt 2: 19 – 20).  In each case, Joseph quietly obeyed the word of God given to him through the angel.

   Joseph led his life in humble obedience to God’s will.  He did not question, he did not doubt, he simply obeyed.  This is the example on which I wish to model my own life; simple, unquestioning obedience to my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment