Wednesday, March 1, 2023

 Past, Present, Future 

   I sometimes find myself reliving many memories of the past.  Mostly they are good memories of the wonderful times my wife and I shared.  Since her passing, these memories bring me great joy, but also sorrow that we can make no more memories in this life.  I look forward to spending eternity with her in God’s kingdom.

   I also relive past sins at times.  These memories are never good and often bring shame and great regret.  I’ve no doubt that my past sins are forgiven through the mercy of God, but they still trouble me at times; I wish I could undo them but of course that isn’t possible.

   On the other hand, the memory of past sins helps me understand how weak I am and how much I need God and His strength if I am to avoid sin and know eternal life with Him.  These sins, while painful to recall, teach me humility and remind me of how merciful and forgiving the Lord is.

   The present is all I really have.  The past is gone and unchangeable and my future on this earth is unknown to me.  Therefore, I must live as if today were the last day of my life.  I must look to God and seek His will this day and every day that He chooses to give me.

   While my future in this life is an unknown, my eternal future is, in many ways, up to me to define.  I can live for the joys and pleasures of this life, or I can live for the greater joy and pleasure of eternal life in God’s heavenly kingdom.  Common sense tells me that no matter what I gain or have in life, it will all be gone upon my death; I can take nothing with me.  However, the treasure I lay up in heaven is, like my soul, eternal.

   “What profit would there be for one to gain the whole world and forfeit his life?” (Matt 16: 26)

No comments:

Post a Comment