Thursday, March 2, 2023

Questioning God’s Purpose 

   “Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundations?  Tell me, since you are so well informed!  Who decided the dimensions of it, do you know?  Or who stretched the measuring line across it?  What supports its pillars at their bases?” (Job 38: 3 – 5) 

   Like Job and his friends, we sometimes question God and His purpose in our life and in the world.  We act as if we should be part of His inner circle, that He needs to explain Himself to us.

   When Job attempted this attitude toward God, he was told,  “Brace yourself like a fighter; now it my turn to ask questions and yours to inform me.” (Job 38: 2).  In the verses that followed God reminded Job in no uncertain terms that he was not qualified to question the Creator of all.  Job was not part of the planning committee, and neither are we.

   Job got the message.  His response to God’s educating him on how things really are was, “I know that you are all-powerful; what you conceive, you can perform.  I am the man who obscured your designs with my empty-headed words.” (Job 42: 2 – 3).  This is the lesson we need to learn as well; He is God, we are not.

   God’s design is perfect and is not subject to our approval or even our understanding.  We are to trust in His wisdom, His power, His love, and His mercy.  Rather than question God and His purpose let us say, “Though I don’t understand, I will not question.  Though I am unsure, I will trust in You.  In all things, Your will be done.”

No comments:

Post a Comment