Monday, March 6, 2023

 Time Away 

   “He said, ‘Come away by yourself to a deserted place and rest a while.’” (Mark 6: 31) 

   It seems more and more I hear these words in my heart.  A desire to go away and leave the day-to-day routine behind for a while.  I need some time to be with my Lord, to pray, to contemplate, and most important of all to listen.

   I have often gone on retreats, some directed, some not.  Times that took me “off the grid” if you will.  Even if the internet was readily available, to set it aside and focus exclusively on my relationship with God.  I always return from these retreats refreshed, both physically and spiritually.

   And now I’m hearing that call again.  I’ve begun considering how best to answer and to take the time I need to regroup, to clear out the worldly and refocus my life on what’s truly important – eternity.  For me a retreat is somewhat like a spring cleaning; clearing out all the cobwebs and putting my spiritual house in order.

   I’m don’t think how I choose to answer is as important as answering.  I’ve considered various opportunities and am continuing to sift them in my mind and in my heart.  I know the decision is coming, I’m just not sure exactly when or what it will be.  I sometimes wish I could find a deserted island and just be a castaway for a time.  Or maybe a long sea cruise going nowhere in particular but enjoying the immensity of the sea.

   My heart is growing restless, I need the time alone with God.  I hear the call and I will answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment