Thursday, May 25, 2023

 Come Home 

   “Then the king will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world;’” (Matt 25: 34) 

   During my career in the Navy there were times when I had to be separated from my family.  I’m not complaining, I knew full well that was a part of what I had signed up for and my wife and I were in complete agreement about my career.  Still, from the moment I left until the moment I returned I looked forward to going home.

   Throughout scripture we often see home as the place of happiness and contentment.  The Israelites wandered many years in the desert seeking the promised land.  Throughout their history there were exiles brought about by their turning from God and still they longed for home.  Some of the most moving of the Psalms are those mourning over the pain of being separated from their homeland.  Jubilation reigned when they were able to return to their beloved Jerusalem.

   In this life I have what I refer to as home, but it is not my true home.  It is where I return to when I travel but it is not where I truly desire to be.  I consider myself in exile in many ways.  I live in this world, but my home lies elsewhere.  That is where I long to be.

   I find comfort in the words of Jesus, “In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places.  If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and take you to myself, so that where I am, you may be also.”  (John 14: 2 - 3).

   Only He will determine when it is time to come for me, whether it be soon or many years from now.  Until then I will strive to serve Him in all I do.  When that time comes I will joyfully take His hand and walk with Him in Paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment