Wednesday, May 10, 2023

 Food for the Soul 

   “Jesus said to them, ‘My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to complete his work.’” (John 4: 34) 

   I need nourishment for my body to be healthy.  If I don’t eat enough or if I eat too much I am doing harm to myself.  If I eat all the wrong foods and avoid those that I should eat, that too harms my body.  I need a balanced diet if I am to remain as healthy as possible.

   Just so, I need spiritual food for my soul.  Like physical food, if I get too little I am doing harm to my soul.  However, it is not possible to get too much spiritual food.  The more I consume the more my heart and soul turns to God and the more I turn to Him the greater His presence within me.

   There are numerous diets that insist they know how and what I should eat to maintain my health.  However, far too many of these diets seem more concerned with selling their products and services than in keeping me healthy.

   Sadly, there are also a host of sources trying to tell me how to feed my soul.  Again, many of them seem more interested in increasing their donations than in saving my eternal soul.  I must choose carefully if I am to properly nourish my soul.

    “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood you do not have life within you.  Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life and I will raise him on the last day.” (John 6: 53 -54).  This is the true food, the Bread of Life that has come down from heaven.  This is the food that nourishes my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment