Monday, May 1, 2023

 Lessons to be Learned 

   If we ever stop learning we will have given up on life.  From our earliest days until our last there are lessons to be learned; lessons that can guide us and direct us on the right path.

   Of course, the greatest lessons to be found are in Holy Scripture.  There I learn of the life of Jesus and am enlightened by His teachings and the examples He set.  In my opinion the greatest of these is to put the will of the Father above my own, that His will, not mine be done.

   But there are many worthy lessons in life outside the scriptures.  I’m not referring to what we learn in school, though we certainly need a proper education.  I’m referring to lessons of life, those most often learned from the example of others.  As we observe those around us and their examples we can discern many truths.  We can see the falsehoods and the damage they cause, and we can greatly benefit from those examples which edify us in what is right and just.

   Examples, both good and bad, are of value in life.  Good examples help us to grow in our faith and recognize our own faults, hopefully giving us the courage to change to those things that need changing in our life.  Bad examples can help us to choose more wisely how to live our lives by avoiding the mistakes of others.

   I’m in my 70’s now and I am still looking for the opportunity to learn.  The writings of the Church Fathers and the saints have taught me many truths.  From the examples of holy men and women I've known, I have learned how to better live my life for God.  Most of all, the lessons found in scripture and in prayer have enabled me to grow in my faith, trust, and love of God.  If it is His will I hope to still be learning as I take my last breath on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment