Friday, May 12, 2023

 Distractions 

   “Occupy your mind with good thoughts, or the enemy will fill them with bad ones.  Unoccupied they cannot be.” (St. Thomas Aquinas) 

   I’ve found St. Aquinas’ words to be true.  I don’t think the human mind can ever be empty, there will always be something to fill it.  I also believe that even when I strive to fill my mind with God and thoughts of God, Satan will continue to attack me with his evil thoughts and distractions.  In fact, I believe the evil one increases his attacks when I am in prayer.

   In times of prayer and meditation my mind sometimes wanders and begins to fill with unwanted thoughts and ideas.  My prayer time becomes a battle to remain in communion with my Lord.  As often as I push the distractions away, they return.  I once read that even in such cases God recognizes my efforts and my desire for prayer and is pleased.  I pray that is so.

   Some say they can reach a point of emptiness in their mind which allows God to fill it.  I’ve never been able to accomplish such a thing.  Instead, I must continuously guard against the distractions that I know will  arise, rejecting them as soon as I am aware of them.

   In a sense the fact that Satan continues to tempt and challenge me is a blessing.  It reassures me that I am not in his power; if I were, he wouldn’t need to keep pushing.  St. Paul wrote of a thorn in his side that he must endure (See 2 Cor 12: 7).  Distractions during times of prayer and meditation seem to be my thorn.  Thankfully, there is help at hand.  When I call upon the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit, my Blessed Mother, and the saints, Satan must flee in terror.

No comments:

Post a Comment