Monday, May 15, 2023

 Witnesses 

   “But you will receive power when the holy Spirit comes upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, throughout Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” (Acts 1: 8) 

   As Christians, we are called to be witnesses to the faith.  At baptism we received the Holy Spirit and if we will allow, He will strengthen us to be Christ’s witnesses in the world today.

   But how are we to witness?  A co-worker once told me that my job as a Christian was to push people into the Church.  I replied that my job, if you can call it that, is to live my life so that others might see the love and peace of Christ in me and to want Him in their lives as well.  By pushing I can only push people away.  By living for Him I can be His witness.

   In society today there are too many people who are pushing people to believe and accept what they want them to believe and accept.  There is no room for discussion or question, only blanket acceptance.  If we object, we are considered evil, homophobic, transphobic, racist, xenophobic, and any other vile name you can think of.  In the long run they will end up pushing people away rather than bringing them together.

   St. Peter tells us, “Always be ready to give an explanation to anyone who asks you for a reason for your hope, but do it with gentleness and reverence, keeping your conscience clear, so that, when you are maligned, those who defame your good conduct in Christ may themselves be put to shame.” (1 Peter 3: 15 -16).  When an opportunity to be a witness for our faith arises we should not hesitate to share our beliefs.  But it must be done with love and kindness, not accusations and heated arguments.

   “This is how all will know you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” (John 13: 34)  Our witnessing must be done with the love of God in our hearts and the love of all His children, believers or non-believers, guiding our actions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment