Friday, May 5, 2023

 The Voices Within 

   I hear voices.  The voices attempt to guide me in the way they would have me go.  One wishes me to pursue the joys and pleasures of this fallen world and the other desires my salvation and eternal life in heaven.

   As you might suspect one is the voice of Satan and the other is the voice of God.  It reminds me of a scene in an old movie; a person with an angel on one shoulder and a demon on the other, fighting for his will.  Sometimes I feel that if I looked in a mirror I would see the same thing.

   Satan has by far the loudest voice.  He tries to convince me that his thoughts and ideas are my thoughts and ideas, that I am making a choice of my own free will.  Satan speaks to my mind and the inherent sinfulness within all humans.  The things he proposes may not at first glance seem to be evil, but with further thought they are trying to draw me away from those things that are good for the soul, tempting me to be worldly.

   The other voice, the voice I choose to listen to, is that of the Holy Spirit.  He speaks not to my humanity, but to my heart and to my soul.  He urges me to follow Jesus, not the world.  He is never loud or pushy, but quiet and loving in His urgings.  His goal is to help me resist the temptations of the devil and live my life in the will of God.  His desire is to lead me away from the worldly way of life.

   Two voices, two choices; good or evil.  We are all faced with this dilemma every day of our life.  We must choose who will we listen to.  Will it be the loud, almost demanding voice of Satan, or the quiet, loving voice of God?  I pray for the strength to shut out the voice of evil in my life and listen only to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment