Sunday, October 14, 2018


Ask, Seek, Knock

   "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” (Matt 7: 7)

   Jesus tells us that all we need do is ask, seek and knock on the door.  Yet we don’t always get what we ask for.  We need to understand that we ask for things that are not what we need in our life.  We seek those things that could hamper our relationship with God and we knock on doors that open to sin.  Our desire should be for God’s will in our life.

   If I ask for money so that I may be rich I may bring wastefulness into my life.  If I seek fame and recognition I may become prideful and full of myself.  If the door I try to open leads to evil I may destroy my relationship with God.

   “God said, 'Ask something of me and I will give it to you.'” (1 Kings 3: 5).  Solomon’s response to God’s offer tells us what we should ask, “Give your servant, therefore, an understanding heart to judge your people and to distinguish right from wrong.” (1 Kings 3: 9).  Solomon’s request for wisdom pleased God and was granted to him.

   I ask for wisdom from God; wisdom to better know, understand and love Him.  I ask for the Holy Spirit to fill me and guide me.  I ask for the holiness that God wants to give me.  Asking for holiness and God’s will in my life is always the right thing to desire.  Asking for the things of this world may cause great harm to me and my relationship with my God.

   I do not seek wealth, fame or fortune; I seek instead God’s guidance, love, and forgiveness.  I seek His strength to live my life according to His plan.  Seeking earthly glory and celebrity will not lead me to my heavenly home.

   I do not knock on the door to earthly pleasures; I knock on the door to everlasting life which Jesus opened to me by His sacrifice on the cross.

   I need not worry about or pray for earthly things; God knows what I need and will provide even when I may think my prayers are unanswered.  The things I ask and seek for are the things of God.  The door I wish opened to me is the door to my heavenly home.

No comments:

Post a Comment