Friday, October 19, 2018


To Repay God

   God has blessed me in so many ways.  I’ve lived my life in what many in the world would call luxury.  I’ve never gone to bed hungry or wondered where my next meal would come from.  I’ve never slept in the street or on a park bench because I had no home to go to.  I am married to a wonderful woman who has filled my life with love, joy and happiness.  God sent His only Son, my Lord Jesus Christ, to pay the debt for my sins, giving me a path to salvation.  He fills me with the Holy Spirit to strengthen and guide me.

   I’ve thought a lot about how I can repay God for all He’s done for me.  That is what we do in this world; when someone does something good for us, we find a way to repay them.  But try as I may I haven’t been able to find anything that could even come close to repaying the debt I owe God for all He has given me.

   I can serve in various ministries at Church; I can give money to worthy causes.  I can try to live according to His will; I can be a witness to His great love and mercy.  But in the end, I can’t compensate God for His gifts.  I have nothing of that worth to give.

   I’ve finally realized that God isn’t seeking and doesn’t expect repayment for His blessings.  He has given them out of His love for me.  There is no reasonable payment for love; there is only giving love in return.  This is what God wants of me.  He appreciates the efforts I make to show my gratitude for His blessings but what He really desires is my love.  He asks for no other reimbursement.

   The gift I offer in return to God is myself.  Every waking minute, every breath I take, everything I do I offer to Him in thanksgiving.  I strive to give Him my very being.  I can never repay God for the love, mercy and blessings He has given me.  Offering myself to Him in love and thanksgiving is as close as I can come.  It’s all He really asks of me; to love Him as He loves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment