Monday, October 15, 2018


Give Glory to the Lord

   “Not to us, Lord, not to us but to your name give glory because of your faithfulness and love.” (Ps 115: 1)

   We have an “I” problem in our society.  We are focused on what I have done, what I have achieved, how successful I’ve been.  We seem to forget that without God’s blessings in our lives we can do nothing.  It’s rare to see someone who has achieved success turn to God and thank Him.  Those who do are often laughed at and belittled.

   I’m a baseball fan.  I love the game whether watching on television or, best of all, at the ball park.  One of the things I like most about it is the attitude of many of the players.  Honoring God is frequently seen in baseball.  Many batters point to heaven giving recognition to God for their hits and home-runs.  There are pitchers who have prayers written inside their caps or say a prayer when they take the mound.  Of all the professional sports it seems baseball is the one whose players most honor God.  Football laughed and made fun of Tim Tebow when he gave honor to God on the field.  In football kneeling on the field is only allowed to disrespect the nation that has enabled their success; God is not allowed.

   I wish more of those in the public eye would take the time to recognize that their success is in large part due to the blessings of God.  I don’t say this to demean their efforts or dismiss the hard work which goes into success.  I just believe true success is the result of God’s plan and should be acknowledged.

   Pride leads us to believe that we are the ones responsible for all we have achieved.   Athletes works hard to strengthen themselves, but a leg weakened by muscular dystrophy can never be strengthened.  Those who are accomplished artists need to give God credit for their sight and attention to detail in creating the beauty of their art.  The music we love to listen to is produced not by the deaf but by those blessed with hearing.

   Whatever I have accomplished in this life is a gift from God.  I can do nothing on my own, but with His help I can do anything.

“For human beings this is impossible, but for God all things are possible.  (Matt 19: 26)

No comments:

Post a Comment