Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Evil in God’s World

   
   “How can evil exist in a world created by a good God?  If He were good evil would not exist.” Atheists make this argument to deny the existence of God.  They claim that evil proves there is no God since God is supposed to be all good; therefore, evil should not exist. 

   I enjoy engaging in this discussion because there is an answer that even one who disavows God can understand.  Evil exists because of free choice.  God did not and does not create evil.  However, He allows it to exist.  We have been given freedom of choice.  We have a choice between good and evil.  God will not force us to chose one or the other.

   If there were no evil, there would be no good.  Goodness without the choice to reject it isn’t goodness but slavery.  If we are required to accept God and His ways then He is not a merciful God, but a tyrannical one.  If we are required to love and obey Him, we are not people of faith, but people bound in chains that we can’t break.

   Free choice is such a common occurrence that we sometimes forget that it exists.  If we don’t like beef, we can choose pork or chicken.  If we don’t want those we can eat fish and seafood.  We can refuse to eat any meat and be vegetarian if we so choose.  What would life be like if beef were our only option?  This is the situation the atheist wants God to impose.  A life without choices where only good can exist.

   Choices are what make life interesting and enjoyable.  They are what make us human; the only one of God's creations who can choose.  The choice between good and evil is no different; it is a choice we must make.  A choice for eternal life or eternal damnation.  I’m free to choose God or reject Him.  My decision to serve Him is one of freedom and love.  By following His will for me I am choosing eternal salvation.  Though the atheist would deny it I know with absolute certainty that God communicates with me through many means and guides me in this life, helping me make the right choices.

   I choose God.  Evil exists but I can reject it and strive for holiness.  Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment