Saturday, October 27, 2018


Lectio Divina

   Lectio Divina is Latin for “Divine Reading”.  It is a traditional Benedictine practice of scriptural reading.  Lectio Divina is a more contemplative way of approaching scripture.  It is intended to be a meditative way of looking not just at the words of scripture but to open one’s heart and mind to a deeper communion with God.

   As I practice this way of scripture reading I find a depth to scripture I’ve not known before.  I’ve always read scripture to learn and better understand the message God has presented but not in the same manner as the contemplative way.  In this way I allow the scripture to speak to me in the inmost part of my heart and soul.

   Through Lectio Divina I let the word guide me rather than me guiding the word through a set number of verses or chapters to read.  I find that some days I read a small portion of a verse and am stopped.  As I reread it in a more meditative way I ask God and the Holy Spirit to help me get the intended message.  Sometimes I feel drawn to another verse that helps me understand what I’ve just read.  There are times I find myself delving into the Old Testament and seeing the foretelling of what I just read in the New.

   When I first began my efforts to be more contemplative in my spiritual life I expected great things, perhaps like a burning bush or such to overwhelm me as it did Moses.  What I’ve found, however, is a depth of love and understanding that had been missing.

   Even though I don’t experience a great spiritual rush each time, I’ve learned that even the empty times are of value.  I look at the emptiness of those times as an opportunity to open myself more deeply to the Holy Spirit and His guidance.  Sometimes it comes, others it doesn’t, but either way I am open to God and His word.  He will fill me in His time and by His plan.

   I believe that my relationship with God has grown through this process and look forward to the continued growth and closeness as I continue to search for meaning rather than just reading the words.

Lord I open my heart to your word.
Guide me and instruct me in your ways.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment