Wednesday, October 17, 2018


Making A Difference

   When I look at the world and the society in which we live I wonder how it got to be so messed up.  More importantly, what can I do to help make it better.  I’m just one person, how can I affect society at large?  The answer is, I can’t.  But I can make a small difference by the way I live.

   I can reach out in love to those I meet; they are children of God.  If I don’t have love for them how can I say I love our Lord.  That doesn’t mean I must approve of their actions or the sinfulness of their ways; it simply means I must recognize that they, like me, are human and make mistakes.  I can pray for them and ask God to watch over them in His great love.

   On a larger scale I look at the news networks and see virtually nothing but violence, hatred and crime.  This provides prominence and even glory to the very actions we wish to change in society.  I challenge the news industry to devote a portion of their reporting to the actions of those doing good in society.  By devoting just a small part of their programming to the decent acts of some maybe others would take heart and do the same.

   We have legalized the killing of babies in the womb; we have legalized the euthanasia of our elderly.  The death penalty is still in use even though it has been shown to be unfair and riddled with errors resulting in innocent people being executed.  I challenge our politicians to do what is right rather than what will keep them in office.  Eliminate those things that harm society and support the good.  Stop the murder of innocents and celebrate life from conception to natural death.  Care for all, the unborn, the poor, and the helpless.

   In our churches we hear little condemnation of sin but a lot about accepting others regardless of their sins.  We seem to be unable to separate the sin from the sinner.  We can’t honor God by honoring those actions which violate His laws.  I challenge our pastors to again preach against sin while preaching acceptance of those who sin.  The greatest gift we can give to the sinner is the knowledge of Christ and the forgiveness He offers. We can’t do that by ignoring the sin as we welcome the sinner.

   Most of all I challenge myself to make a difference in whatever small way I can.  The simple act of smiling and greeting a stranger; giving help to someone who needs it and thanking the one who helps me can be ways of change.  Let me ignore outward appearances and look for Jesus within others.  Judgement belongs to God, not me; may I not judge but always look at others with love.  May I do all things out of love for God.

   “Not all of us can go great things.  But we can do small things with great love.”  (Saint Mother Teresa of Calcutta)

No comments:

Post a Comment