Saturday, October 20, 2018

The Word of God

   “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” (John 1: 1)

   Jesus is the Word.  Jesus was with God in the beginning and Jesus is God.  When God spoke, Jesus, acted.  The Word of God created the earth and all that is in it.  “All things came to be through him, and without him nothing came to be.” (John 1: 3).  Jesus, the Word of God created all.

   I think we sometimes let the humanity of Christ blind us to His infinite majesty and glory.  We look at Jesus and see Him in the manger; we see Him at twelve years old with the elders in the temple.  We picture Him in the Jordan being baptized.  We see Him on the cross paying for our sins and finally we see His glorious ascension into heaven to take His seat at the right hand of the Father.

   Jesus is both human and eternal; He has always existed and will always exist.  His duality is a hard concept for us to grasp.  Since we can’t fully understand eternity we are more comfortable with the physical Jesus.  We look to Him as we do our best friend.  One who does for us rather than self.  His life on earth and the sacrifices He made for us are worthy of our praise and recognition.  We rightfully give Him glory and thanks for them.  But we also must recognize the glory and majesty He has possessed and will possess for all time.

   I am unable to comprehend His eternal life; my mind simply isn’t capable of understanding all He has done and created.  He continues to create today and tomorrow and forever.  St. John tells us that nothing is created without Him.  Everything that exists is because of Him.

   I don’t understand; I can’t comprehend; but I believe.  I accept and welcome what small amount I can know of our Lord.  I strive through prayer to increase my knowledge and understanding and yet I know that fully understanding is far beyond my ability.  I anxiously await the opportunity to better know our God, our Savior and the Holy Spirit in the next world.

“And the word was made flesh and made his dwelling among us, and we saw his glory, the glory as the Father’s only Son, full of grace and truth.” (John 1: 14)

No comments:

Post a Comment