Wednesday, September 11, 2019


Bold Catholicism

   “So, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew you out of my mouth.” (Rev 3:16)

   I am Catholic.  I will boldly proclaim my Catholicism to others when appropriate.  My faith tells me to do less is to endanger my soul.  The message of Jesus to the church at Laodicea clearly says I must not be lukewarm in my faith.  In some translations this warning proclaims, “I will VOMIT you out of my mouth”.  I think I prefer it that way; somehow to vomit seems more forceful than to spew.

   Being bold in my faith does not mean that I will be disrespectful of others.  It does not mean that I will try to convert everyone to Catholicism.  What it does mean, however, is that I will never water down my faith and belief to appease someone who disagrees.  I will state my case boldly but politely.  I will discuss differences but never argue about them.

   There is no circumstance that would cause me to deny the Doctrine of the Church.  The Trinity, One God in three distinct persons, is real; Mary is the Mother of God, was protected from sin by God and was assumed into heaven.  The Eucharist is the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of my Lord, Jesus Christ.  Abortion is wrong and always will be.  Sexual relations outside of a sacramental marriage is adultery and/or fornication.  A sacramental marriage involves one man and one woman, no more and no less.  The Ten Commandments are not suggestions they are the pathway to heaven.

   If those who claim the Christian faith, Catholic or otherwise, would take more of this bold attitude we could change the world.  Rather, I fear we are letting the world change us.

Father give me boldness in my faith.
Let me always stand for You and Your word.
Never let me weaken.
Make me strong in faith

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment