Sunday, September 15, 2019


Eternity

   As a young man I’m not sure I ever considered eternity.  If so, it was a fleeting thought and I paid little attention to it.  In our youth I suspect most of us were somewhat indifferent to the concept of anything that was never ending.  We had more important things to occupy our time.

   Age brings change and at some point in my life eternity began to hold some importance to me.  At least I wanted to better understand the implications of being eternal.  Still I didn’t make it a focus of my life.  I had a family to support and care for; eternity could wait.

   Even after the kids were grown and gone the everlasting was not one the topics I spent most of my time considering.  Though it was just my wife and I, eternity wasn’t imminent so not enough thought was given to how my life should reflect a respect for my immortal soul.  Death and eternity remained a far-off dilemma that could be dealt with at the “proper” time.

   Since my wife has left this life eternity has become the most important focus of my life.  It is no longer a concept to consider; it is a reality that I feel deeply.  My spiritual health has taken on a new importance; I need to ensure that my eternity is spent in the presence of my Lord.  I need to know that I will be reunited with my wife when the time comes; together we will love and give all praise to our Lord.

   Everything else now takes a back seat to my concern for my eternal destination.  My prayer life has changed and deepened; my faith has grown stronger and more dominant in the way I approach daily life.  I feel God leading me in a new direction in my spiritual life.  I will follow where it leads.

   It many ways I no longer have much interest in this world; at some point it will pass away.  I don’t neglect the things I need to do for my well-being; I am not isolated from others.  In fact the love and support of family and friends is more important than ever before.  I pray that they recognize the great love I have for them.

   Eternity will come.  I will do all in my power to ensure my eternity is in the presence of my God and Father.  Amen!  Come Lord Jesus!

Lord, our life is short.
Eternity is forever.
May I always seek eternity in Your presence.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment