Monday, September 16, 2019


Pain and Suffering

   Why must those who trust in God experience pain and suffering?  One might expect that those who are faithful would be saved from such distress.  And yet it seems that they are sometimes the ones who suffer the most.

   “And to keep me from being too elated by the abundance of revelations, a thorn was given me, a messenger of Satan, to keep me from being too elated.  Three times I begged the Lord about this, that it should leave me; but he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’” (2 Cor 12: 7 – 9).  When we are at our weakest is when we most recognize and acknowledge the power of God.  We must remember that He will never test us beyond our abilities, but will help us through any storm, any trial.  His power conquers all.

   “He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he who loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and he who does not take up his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.” (Matt 10: 37 – 38).  On many occasions Jesus told His followers to expect persecution, trials and tribulations.  If we refuse or reject them we are not worthy of Him.  He also promised that those who suffer for His sake will be rewarded, that they will be with Him in paradise.

   To me the bottom line is quite simple; He suffered for me, why should I not suffer for Him?  The pain my Lord suffered in His passion and death is beyond my comprehension.  He withstood beatings, the crown of thorns, carrying of His cross and a horrible death on that cross.  All for my benefit.  He paid the price I could not pay; the price of my sins.

   So yes, I will suffer.  Sometimes greatly sometimes not so terribly.  Sometimes in such anguish that I am uncertain of whether I can continue.  I will turn to the Lord and beg His help and strength and He will give it.  As with Paul, in my weakness is His power perfected.  I offer it all to Him.

Lord, You told us that we would suffer for Your sake.
Strengthen us in times of trial.
In our weakness, give us Your strength.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment