Monday, September 9, 2019


Prayers for the Will of God

   Each morning I say a short prayer thanking God for bringing me safely through the night.  I also offer Him the new day and ask that He guide me in His will.  I pray for the strength to follow His will for me regardless of what it may be.

   In some ways I think that prayer is a bit scary.  Do I really desire His will, or would I prefer a voice in what that might be?  Our Lord, on the night before His sacrifice on the cross, asked the Father to let the cup pass Him by, but subjected His own desire to the will of the Father.  Is this what I’m asking God; to allow me to suffer and perhaps die in His will?  Yes, I suppose that is exactly what I’m asking.

   I guess the point is that I need to be careful what I ask of the Lord; He might just answer me.  I pray that He will make me holy so I must be willing to allow Him to do whatever is needed to create holiness in me.  If I wish to be a saint, am I willing to undergo whatever cross, trial, or tribulation that may be necessary to achieve that end?

   It’s easy to say the prayer but understanding and accepting the possible consequences is perhaps a bit harder.  Saints are the ones who get rejected, scorned and sometimes martyred for the faith.  Holy men and women have been persecuted and tortured for their faith.  By these prayers I am effectively saying that I am willing to join them in their suffering and even death if that is His will.

   I believe that should such things be asked of me God will be there to strengthen me just as He has for others throughout the ages.  He will never abandon me but will help me bear whatever trial I may have to withstand.  Just before being stoned to death St. Stephen, the first Christian martyr, said, “Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing at the right hand of God.” (Acts 7:56).  This is the faith I pray for; this is the promise of the prayers I say; this is why I submit my will to that of God.

Father, my trust in You is complete.
You will never abandon me.
May Your will be fulfilled in me.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment