Monday, September 30, 2019


The Weight of the Cross

   “So they took Jesus, and he went out, bearing his own cross, to the place called the place of the skull, which is called in Hebrew, Golgotha.” (John 19: 17).

   As I contemplate the passion and death of Christ I envision Him, beaten and bloody with a crown of thorns on His head, carrying the cross upon which He would die for my sins.

   Through the streets of Jerusalem the soldiers pushed and prodded Him, cursing and swearing at Him.  The crowds lining the streets jeered Him seeing nothing more than another criminal on the way to His execution.  Few within the crown recognized Him and of those who did it seems most were women. St. Luke tells of the daughters of Jerusalem who followed Him wailing and lamenting Him.  Tradition tells of Veronica who gave Jesus her veil to wipe His face.  The veil was returned to her with the Image of His face permanently imprinted upon it.  Of course, the Blessed Mother was among those following, her heart pierced by the sword as Simeon had foretold at the presentation of our Lord in the temple.  (See Luke 2: 22 – 35).

   He bore the sins of the world upon His shoulders.  When I consider the weight of His cross I am sadden because I realize that my sins contribute to that weight.  I believe that my sins committed today somehow continue to add to the burden He had to bear to pay the price for my redemption.  Though I can never be sinless, I pray for the strength to sin less, adding as little weight as possible to the cross of my Savior.

Jesus, you bore the cross of my sins.
You paid the price for my redemption.
You still pay for the sins I commit.
Help me to avoid sin and burden you less.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment