Friday, September 27, 2019


The Prodigal

   Each Saturday morning a group of four or five of us meet at Mass.  We then go to breakfast for fellowship and just good company.  Our discussions vary widely but always have at least some spiritual element to them.  These men, their friendship and support, are a very important part of my life.

   On more than one occasion our conversation has turned to the parable of the prodigal son (see Luke 15: 11 – 32).  We all agree that within us there is some of the son, some of the father, and some of the older brother.

   As the son I have received so many blessings from the Lord and have squandered them.  I’ve taken them for granted and failed to give God proper thanks.  Like the son of the parable I have wasted God’s gifts and used them for my own pleasure.  God has given me the grace to realize that I must return to the Father, begging forgiveness.  Though I am not worthy, He waits for me in love and mercy.

   I wish there were more of the father in me.  He gave his son all he asked and watched as he walked away in selfishness.  He most probably heard about the life of debauchery his son was living.  Still he loved him and watched for his return.  When he saw his son coming home he met him, hugged and kissed him and welcomed him home.  He put the best clothes on him and had a party celebrating his return.  This is the way of God when a repentant sinner returns.

   There is also some of the elder brother in me although I wish there weren’t.  He is like the Pharisees, living his live according to the law.  Yet he doesn’t really see that the heart of the law is love of God and neighbor.  He sees those who aren’t perfect in the law as unclean and unworthy of his love, respect and forgiveness.

These three persons are in each of us.  We sin and need God’s forgiveness; we need to recognize that He is always there in mercy and love to welcome us home.  As children of God we need to emulate God’s feelings toward others.  When our children or friends or neighbors stray, we need to pray for them and, when they come home, welcome them back with open arms filled with love.  We all have a bit of Pharisee in us; we tend to judge others too much.  Jesus told the Pharisees, “Go and learn what this means, ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.”  For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners. (Matt 9: 13).  He says the same to us.

Lord You have blessed me in so many ways.
For this I give You thanks.
I have squandered Your gifts so many times.
For this I beg Your mercy and forgiveness.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment