Wednesday, September 4, 2019


Give All to God

   “Do You Yourself in kindness dispose of me, my thoughts and actions, according to Your good pleasure, so that Your will may always be done by me and in me and concerning me”. (St. Anselm)

   God doesn’t want just part of me, He wants all of me.  As in a sacramental marriage the husband and wife abandon themselves to each other and become one, God wants me to abandon myself to Him and His will for me.  Anything less is not acceptable.

   Very early in Christianity there were quite a few hermits, those who withdrew from the world completely.  These men and women many times gave up wealth and property to live their lives in total dedication to God.

   Not everyone is called to such rigorous lifestyles in their service to God.  Many are called to matrimony, the priesthood or other religious orders.  Some serve in various ways in the church supporting those in need and helping in whatever way they can.  They a secular life, but one devoted to Him.  All they do is offered to Him in love.

   In any relationship there are sacrifices; there are times when we do what the other desires rather than force our own wants upon them.  A relationship with God requires the same.  God has blessed us in so many ways, yet so many seem to think it is their due.  

   We can’t buy His blessings but we can thank Him in the way we live our life.  We can offer ourselves to Him and follow His will.  This is the path to heaven; to sacrifice for our Lord as His Son Jesus sacrificed for us.

Father, You have blessed us in so many ways.
Yet we ignore You and Your will.
Give us the wisdom to seek Your will.
Give us the love and the courage to follow it.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment