Sunday, September 1, 2019

Is God Enough?

“All things are possible to him who believes.” (Mark 9: 23)

   During the great depression in this country there were those who jumped from the windows of high-rise buildings to their death.  Their wealth had disappeared overnight.  They saw no hope and couldn’t face life without their wealth.  For whatever reason they could not or would turn to God in their distress.  God was not enough for them to go on.

   When faced with a terrible, perhaps terminal illness some seek what is called “assisted suicide” because they believe there will be no quality of life.  God is not enough.  Others turn to God for support.  They offer their suffering to Him and pray for His comfort and peace in their final days.  Even though they know the pain and death that awaits them, they trust in God to see them through.  For them God is enough.

   I realized the importance of this truth when I lost my wife of forty-eight years a few months ago.  I was totally lost. I had no idea of how to go on or even if I could go on.  How was I to live without her?  My whole life was I turmoil.

   Thankfully, in faith, I turned to God.  I can’t image a pain worse than that of losing her, but God has carried me through.  I still love her and miss her terribly and will for the rest of my life.  But I know that God is with me and He will comfort me in the sorrow and pain.  My greatest desire is to live my life in His will and be re-united with her when this life is over.  Together, the two of us will spend eternity sharing the love God has given us and praising Him for all things.

   There is no way to know when tragedy will strike or how devastating that tragedy might be.  The only thing certain is that God will always be there for us.  He will give us comfort, mercy and peace.  And yes, God is enough.

Lord, You are there for us.
Regardless of the cross we bear,
You strengthen us to carry it.
Your love and mercy is enough.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment