Saturday, September 28, 2019


Heaven

   “Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world;” (Matt 25: 34)

   How I long to hear those words when I stand before my Lord on judgement day.  But what comes next?  Exactly what is the kingdom prepared for me?  What is heaven?

   Everyone seems to have an image of heavenly life in their mind.  I think most of us believe it will be a place of happiness and joy, but we can’t understand the full depth of these blessings.  I’m convinced that total happiness and joy isn’t possible in this world, so we have no way of knowing.  There are times when we are happy, occasionally very happy.  But it is fleeting; it doesn’t last.  The trials and tribulations of this sinful world won’t allow it to be permanent.

   Maybe heaven will be a bit different for each of us.  There will be some commonality for all.  For instance, there will be no pain, no sorrow and death will no longer exist.  But what makes one person happy may not be the same for another.  If we are to experience the level of joy and contentment we expect in heaven I think there must be some variations for each individual.

   For me total happiness means reuniting with my wife and other loved ones; the beauty of existence as God intended when He created us; worshiping Him, giving Him praise and glory throughout eternity.  So many things to contemplate but no way of knowing in this life.  There’s an old gospel song that says, “Some sweet morning when this life is o’er, I’ll fly away.”  I suppose I’ll have to wait for that sweet morning to know what heaven holds for me.

Lord, You promise eternal joy to those who believe.
I pray that I may be numbered among them.
Though I can’t know what is to come,
I long to join You in Your heavenly home.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment