Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Here Am I

   “And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, ‘Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?’  Then I said, ‘Here am I!  Send me.’”

   When studying the prophets there is a common thread; they were not born prophets, they were called by the Lord.  In some cases they even fought the call.  Some where unsure of themselves, some were probably just scared since being a prophet many times meant persecution and death at the hands of those one was sent to help.  Still they answered the call.

   Who are the prophets of today?  Some would say that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a prophet and I would agree.  He spoke of equality and the value of all God’s children, a principal and truth needed to be spoken and certainly God’s will.  St. John Paul II could be numbered among the prophets.  Throughout his papacy He spread the word of God in countries all over the world, speaking of and sharing God’s love and mercy wherever he went.  

   I believe all Christians are called to be God’s prophets and evangelists.  And I think the most effective means of living up to this calling is found in the way we live our life.  How we interact with others, the love, the compassion shown and the sharing of the many blessings of God all minister to others and spread the love of God.  A priest friend once said that he would much prefer to see a homily in action rather than hear it from the pulpit.  Don’t just talk about it, live it so everyone can see it.

   There is no greater calling than to serve the Lord.  Though I am unworthy He calls me.  I will answer “Here am I!”

Lord, make me your prophet.
May I live as a child of God.
Let Your light shine through me,
That others may see and seek You.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment