Wednesday, October 16, 2019


The River

   I am standing at the edge of a great river.  I can barely make out the other shore; it’s so far away.  I can’t see what's there, it seems wrapped in a cloud or in fog.  Still, I somehow know that I want to be there; it is where I belong.

   Suddenly there is a man standing at my side.  He wasn’t there a moment before, and I have no idea who he is.  “The river looks scary, doesn’t it?” he asks.  “But everything on the other shore is beautiful, filled with love, mercy and peace.  You should swim to the other side.”

   I know that I could never swim that far.  Besides I can see the current running very fast and there are things in the water.  I can’t quite make out what they are, but somehow, I know they aren’t good.  I can sense the evil in them.

   Turning to the man I answer, “I don’t swim very well, how could I swim across this river?  Besides there is a very fast current and there are things in the water that I think are evil.  Who are you?  I don’t know you, why are you here and where did you come from?”

   “I am the messenger sent to encourage you to cross the waters to the other side.  The current is indeed fast and even dangerous.  Yes what you see in the river is evil.  But you are called to swim to the other side.  Trust in the One who sent me, and He will see you safely across.”

   Looking at the waters I'm confused and unsure of what to do.  How can I trust this stranger who claims to be a messenger?  Whose messenger?  How can whoever sent him protect me from those things in the water?

   He seemed to know my thoughts and questions, “What you see are the sins of this world.  In these waters are lust, hatred, pride and every evil act the world would press upon you.  The danger is even greater due to the current which could carry you far away with no hope of return.  But I tell you, I am the messenger of the Almighty One.  In Him there is hope; He will see you through the sinfulness of this world.  But you must trust Him and never doubt Him.  Just as Peter could walk on water only when focused on Christ, you can safely cross this river only if you trust and have faith in God and His love for you.  Take the risk; trust in God; cross the waters to eternal life.”

   With love, faith and trust, I jump into the dark waters, knowing that my Lord and my God will save me from the dangers.

Father, so many evils come at us.
We are weak and cannot defeat them all.
With faith and trust in You, we can overcome.
Give us the courage to always trust in You.

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment