Monday, October 7, 2019


Thoughts of Heaven

   “Heaven will solve our problems, but not, I think, by showing us subtle reconciliations between all our apparently contradictory notions.  The notions will be knocked out from under our feet.  We shall see that there never was any problem.” (C.S. Lewis, “A Grief Observed”)

   This quote doesn’t much help me better understand heaven.  I’m not sure that C.S. Lewis was even sure what he meant.  I think the quote is important for that very reason.  Heaven is not understandable.  We have not even the vaguest idea of what the reality of Heaven will be.

   I want to be reunited with my wife in heaven, loving her eternally, praising God always.  And yet I’m not sure what that means.  Will it be in some way physical, touching and holding each other?  Will it be purely spiritual, the perfection of God’s love for us and for each other?  I think maybe it means a total connection with her; one that we sought here on earth but couldn’t achieve because we live in this fallen world.

   We all have thoughts of what we think heaven will be like.  I really think we should quit trying to figure it out.  Contemplating the beauty and perfection is fine but the specifics need to wait.  Our primary concern about heaven should not be what it is but how do we become part of it.

   The one thing we can be sure of is that heaven will be perfect.  There will be a love such as we’ve never known; happiness and joy beyond anything we can imagine.  No pain, no sorrow, no heartache, no tears; just the beauty of being in the presence of God.  Whatever perfection is, that is what heaven will be.

   Heaven is a mystery and is perhaps intended to be.  We are stained by original sin; we can’t begin to comprehend the perfection which awaits us.  Whether God calls me today or many years from now I rest in His will.  He will call me home in His good time.  Then I will understand heaven.

Father, I don’t what You have prepared for me.
Heaven is a mystery.
I place myself totally in Your will.
Lead me home I pray.

Amen

1 comment:

  1. "We shall see that there never was any problem." Heaven will be always resting in His will. We can do that only imperfectly here...perfectly then. Then we will see that what we saw as problems were His perfect will in action on earth. We will perfectly understand what we believe in faith now...that all things DO work together for the good for those who are called according to His purpose.

    ReplyDelete