Monday, October 21, 2019


Pursuing Nothing

   "And I will say to soul, Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; take your ease, eat, drink, be merry.  But God said to him, ‘Fool!  This night your soul is required of you; and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’  And so is he who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God.” (Luke 12: 19 – 21)

   No matter what I accumulate in this world it is nothing.  It has no value in eternity and can only draw me away from God.  No matter what I accomplish who will remember me twenty years or even two years after my death?  It is of no consequence to my soul whether I die wealthy or in poverty; hungry or well-fed.  All that matters is that I be filled with God.

   There are many desires but only one is of value; the desire to know God and to live in His will.  All else is nothingness waiting to happen; it will all be gone in the blink of an eye.  Only God and my relationship with Him has any real worth.

   Many will throw away their eternal soul in search of earthly wealth, fame and fortune.  They worry about so many things when only one thing matters.  Their gods are man-made things of no worth in eternity.  Earthly pleasures are their desires rather than eternal joy in the kingdom of God.  They claim they want to be taken to heaven, but they are pursuing the things of the world.

   Life is short; a life into the 90's or beyond is as a grain of sand.  Eternity is everlasting; there is no beginning and no end.  I will seek the eternal rather than pursuing the nothingness of this world.

We chase so many worldly pleasures.
Things that have no eternal value.
We seek so many things that don’t matter.
May we seek only You.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment