Wednesday, October 2, 2019


Simon the Cyre’ne

   “And as they led him away, they seized one Simon of Cyre’ne, who was coming in from the country, and laid on him the cross, to carry it behind Jesus.” (Luke 23: 26)

   In prayerful reading and meditating on scripture I’ve found that many, if not most, passages contain more than one valuable lesson.  The story of Simon helping Christ carry His cross is no different.

   There is the message that I should always do whatever I can to help those who are suffering or in pain.  As Simon helped relieve the agony of Jesus I should comfort others who are struggling, offering them love and support.

   However, there is another side to this story.  Not only am I to help others when needed but I am to reach out to others for help when I am in pain.  It is a blessing for me when I can be of comfort to another, but it also a blessing to accept the comfort of others; of those who love and care for me.  Friends, family and most of all God can and will provide the support and love I need in times of trial and struggle.  They help me carry my cross.

   Jesus wants us to reach out to the Simons of the world and accept their help when we are struggling.  Even more I am confident that Jesus wants us to reach out to Him.  He will take the role of Simon for us when we ask; He will help us carry our crosses whatever they may be.

   How blessed we are to have a Savior and Lord who so loves us that He would not only give His life for our redemption but will take our cross upon His own shoulders and carry it for us when we are not able.  Just as Simon helped Jesus on His way so Jesus will help us on ours.

Lord Jesus I need Your help so much.
My crosses are sometimes nearly unbearable.
I can feel You lift the weight from me when I ask.
May I always rely on You and Your strength.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment