Thursday, October 10, 2019


Silence is Golden

   “Be still, and know that I am God!” (Psalm 46: 10)

   My faith life and my relationship with my Lord grows best in silence.  In the quiet I am most aware of His presence within me.  Solitude and silence are to my faith as the rain and the sun is to a garden.  Without them they wither and die.

   There are those who say they clearly hear the word of God.  I wish it were so with me.  I can’t tell of a single time when God has actually spoken to me.  But there are many times when I feel His presence and His guiding hand within me.  These times are those that make my heart soar with love and devotion to Him.  It is then that I am most at peace and at home with my God.  It is in the silence that I hear Him, when I seek Him in the quiet of my heart.

   Take the time to enter into the silence with God.  Turn off the television, the radio, and the cell phone.  Go to a quiet place within yourself.  At first the quiet itself may be a distraction.  If so, have some of the magnificent Gregorian chants playing quietly in the background.  Ask the Lord to quiet you and become open to Him.  For me this is the way I meet my Lord.  I open myself totally to Him, giving all to His will.

   My silent times are priceless to me.  God speaks to me in the quiet, not with words but within my heart and soul.  There is no sound, but I hear Him loud and clear.

My God, I thank You for the quiet.
The times when I am closest to You.
You speak to me in the silence.
May I always be attentive to Your word.

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment