Monday, October 28, 2019


The Constant Battle

   I woke up this morning at about ten minutes past six.  My twelve-year old Dachshund had gotten me up about midnight with an urgent need to go outside.  Other than that I had slept well and felt rested.

   However, as soon as I woke up I was reminded that the dog had interrupted my sleep so maybe I hadn’t slept as well as I thought.  There was no real reason to get up so why not just sleep a while longer.  It all seemed to make sense at the time.

   Then it occurred to me; this was Satan already waging war within me.  I routinely go to daily Mass on Monday at 8:30 in the morning.  If I were to have time to get ready, take care of the dog and get to Mass I needed to get up and get moving.  Thanks to God Satan lost that battle.  I got of bed and started my day as I should; praising God at Mass and receiving the Body and Blood of my Lord in the Eucharist.  Not only did I receive the blessings of being at Mass, but it also gave me the opportunity to share a few minutes with some of my best friends.

   There is a constant war within me.  The forces of good and evil are fighting for my soul.  I know that God’s good can always overcome Satan’s evil but I also know that I am a sinful man and the evil one wins a battle from time to time even though I try to fight it.  As St. Paul said, “For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do.” (Romans 7:10).

   The battle continues to rage within; I win some and Satan wins some.  No matter how hard I try I can’t always reject him.  But I know that even when I fail my God loves me.  Though I sin He forgives me when I come to Him in sorrow and repentance.  Therefore I am confident of the outcome of this battle.  Jesus assures me, “In the world you have tribulation; but be of good Cheer, I have overcome the world.”  (John 16: 33)

Lord I fight the battle as best I can.
But I am weak and sometimes lose.
I pray for Your mercy and forgiveness.
I ask for Your strength to fight Satan ever harder.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment