Saturday, November 23, 2019


Humility

   “Growth in humility is powered by the simple desire to become like Christ.”  (Michael Casey, “A Guide to Living in the Truth; St. Benedict’s Teaching on Humility”)

   If we want to better understand humility and how it is to affect our lives we need look no further than our Lord Jesus Christ.  His was life of humility and we would do well to do our best to follow His perfect example.

   When I consider that the Son of God humbled Himself to become one of us I am amazed and eternally grateful.  Not only did He become man, but He did so in the same manner as all men.  Born of a woman, a helpless infant, laid in a manger for His bed.

   He could have come as an adult, but He chose to experience humanity in its’ fullness.  In this way, He was like us in all things but sin.  He chose to enter the world as a baby in need of the loving care of His parents; without it He would have died like any other baby.

   Our Lord suffered the rejection of those He had come to save.  The religious leaders conspired to have Him killed.  Peter, on whom He would build His Church, denied Him three times and Judas betrayed Him with a kiss.  And yet, He never lashed out against them.  He accepted His rejection with humility while continuing in His efforts to save those who were intent on killing Him.

   He lived His life totally in the will of the Father all the way to the cross.  Even on the cross His humility remained; He forgave those who were putting Him to death and committed His spirit to the Father.

   How can I, as stained and sinful as I am, dare to aspire to the humility of my Lord?  I can and do because it is His way, the way to the Father.  My pride sometimes gets in the way, my impatience troubles me and my sins humble me in sorrow.  Still I will continue to try my best to live a life of humility to please my Lord.

Jesus, You humbled Yourself to become man.
You gave up Your glory to offer me salvation.
Help me to emulate You in all ways.
Guide me according to Your will.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment