Sunday, November 10, 2019


Past Sins

   “For as the heavens are high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us.”  (Psalm 103: 11 – 12)

   Sometimes while sitting quietly in prayer or perhaps even at Mass there comes to mind a sin committed many years ago.  One that has been confessed and forgiven by my Lord.  Where does it come from?  Why am I reminded again of something done years ago?

   It’s usually not just any sin, but one of those that I regret most for having committed.  I’m sure that we all have a few sins that we feel are more terrible that most others; ones that we regret above all the rest.  These are the ones I am reminded of most often.

   I believe it is Satan once again trying to pull me from God.  He’s trying to tell me that this sin was so grievous that it could not be forgiven, even by God.  He sometimes even puts the question in my mind, “Are you sure you confessed this one?  Are you sure it’s forgiven?”  Even though I know it’s another lie from the father of all lies it can be disturbing.

   Over the years I’ve learned that the surest way of handling these events is to immediately turn to the Blessed Mother and ask that she defend me against the evil one.  A heartfelt Hail Mary always does the trick.  I thank Jesus for giving me such an incredible spiritual mother to help me.

   Satan may try as he will and I’m sure he will continue but I rest assured in the promise of Jesus that my sins are forgiven.  It is His strength, His promise that provides certainty to me.  I know, as does Jesus, that I have sinned grievously in the past and I am just as certain that He has forgiven me, and that those sins are removed as far as the east is from the west.

Thank You Lord!

Father, I have sinned against You.
You have forgiven me.
I sin against You still.
And again You forgive me.
Help me to sin no more!

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment