Thursday, November 21, 2019


Thinking of God

   Is He the burning bush Moses saw?  Is He the whisper Elijah heard on the mountain?  Who is God; what is God?  We spend a lot of time thinking of God and trying to figure Him out.  We want to know how and why He does the things He does.  There are so many questions we would like to have answered.

   I’ve come to believe that spending too much time trying to understand God is not only futile but, in some ways, detrimental to my faith.  I’m much better off to simply accept that God is, as He told Moses, “I AM”.  I don’t know for sure what that means, but maybe it’s God’s way of telling me not to concern myself with His identity but to submit myself to His will.

   I think it’s far more important to know what God thinks of me that what I think of Him.  When He considers me and my life is He pleased or disappointed.  I suspect that it is a bit of both.  I try to please Him in the way I live, hoping that I am successful at least some of the time.  However, I’m also well aware that I am far from perfect so I’m sure I also disappoint Him at times.  I pray that I please Him more often than I disappoint Him.

   I believe that God sees me as His son even though I sometimes sin against Him.  He is a loving Father who continues to love me even in my failures.  I hope that He sometimes smiles when He considers me; that I have somehow made Him happy.  In humility and sorrow I seek forgiveness and mercy for the times I may have brought tears to Him.

   Most of all I hope God thinks of me as a son who will accept His will in my life in all things.  I know that life is never perfect; there will always be good times and bad.  In the good times I offer praise and thanksgiving for all He does.  When bad times arise I reach out to Him for comfort and solace.  In all times, in all ways He is there, thinking of me.

Father, You exceed all understanding.
Your ways are far beyond me.
Let me simply love you and serve You.
Let me be a son you can be proud of.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment