Wednesday, November 13, 2019

What is Prayer?

   When asked what prayer was for her, St. Teresa of Calcutta replied, “God speaks to me and I speak to Him.  It’s that simple.  That is prayer.”  St. Therese of Lisieux said, “For me, prayer is a surge of the heart; it is a simple look turned toward heaven, it is a cry of recognition and of love, embracing both trial and joy.”

   These two great saints are an inspiration to me.  Both suffered long periods of darkness in their prayer life, almost as if God had quit listening.  Yet they both maintained a devoted prayer life confident of God’s presence even when it seemed He had left them.  Such faith and devotion is rare and something we all should emulate.

   Prayer is many things to me.  It is a conversation with God; it is enjoying the beauty of God’s creation; it is quietly meditating upon scripture; it is simply contemplating God and His glory.  A simple walk, enjoying the day can be a prayer experience.  At times I seek quiet and solitude, contemplating God in the depths of my heart.  Scripture is prayer; loving others is prayer; giving myself over to God’s will is prayer.

   Prayer helps me appreciate the many blessings God has given and comforts me in the sorrow that life sometimes brings.  It gives me the strength to carry whatever cross I am to bear and gives me hope and faith in the life to come where there is only happiness and joy.

Father, in prayer I turn to You.
I listen for Your word.
I seek Your guidance.
I pray for Your peace and comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment