Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Priest, Prophet and King

   Through Baptism we become priests, prophets and kings in God’s Kingdom.  We are no longer a slave to sin but a member of the family of God.  This is not only a tremendous blessing but a responsibility as well.  To be a member of His family carries with it the obligation to live our life according to His will.

   As priest we join with the celebrant in offering the sacrifice of the Mass.  It is offered not only from him but from us as well.  We are participants, not just observers.  Our hearts, minds and souls are to be joined with the Priest in the celebration of the Mass.  We are to be one with each other in love and praise to our Lord.

   People sometimes think of a prophet as one who predicts the future.  In fact a prophet is one who speaks the word of God.  In some instances God gave the prophets foreknowledge of what was to come in order to help save the people from their own sins.  But the prophets were still only speaking the word of God.  They had no knowledge of future events other than what God had given them to share with the people.

   We too are prophets if we speak the word of God.  We are also prophets if we live the word of God in our lives.  Others may hear the voice of God in their own heart by observing our love for one another and for God.  We may not be preaching verbally but our actions can speak volumes about the word of God.

   I’ve always struggled with the concept of being a king in God’s kingdom.  I can’t imagine that I am worthy of such a title.  However, in a sense I can relate being a king, not to any royalty of my own but because I am member of God’s holy family.  A family established by Jesus Christ, the Son of David.  Jesus is the true king of Israel and has adopted me into His family.  As such I am a member of the royal family of God.

   Truly miraculous blessings are bestowed on us in baptism.  We are to take our place in God’s family as priest, prophet, and king.  Let us pray that we may be made worthy.

Father, I deserve none of Your blessings.
I am a sinful man unworthy of Your love.
Still, You love me and shower Your blessings upon on.
Change me Lord, make me worthy.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment