Monday, November 4, 2019


The Beatitudes

   The Beatitudes are found in Matthew, chapter 5, verses 1 thru 12.  In many ways I see them as an image of Jesus.  He exhibited each of these qualities in His life on earth.  If we are to follow Him we must live by these virtues as well.

   The beatitudes are a path to heaven.  When we can look in a mirror and honestly say we are doing all we can to live up to them we can be assured that Jesus is pleased and will help us in our efforts.  Still, in our weakness we will, at times, fail.  That is when we must turn to Him in sorrow and repentance seeking forgiveness and the strength to more closely imitate Him in our life.

   For me it’s a good examination of self to sit down every now and then and just re-read the beatitudes.  Not hurriedly but slowly and prayerfully, truly considering how well I am living each one.  Many times I find I am slipping a bit and need to step up my efforts.  Again, Jesus is there to support me, strengthen me and, in His mercy, forgive me for my failings.

   People look for many ways to improve their faith life and their relationship with God.  There are many paths, and all can be beneficial when practiced sincerely.  I find, however, that this simple checklist not only allows me to monitor my progress, it is also a form of prayer seeking God’s guidance and direction in life.

Jesus You gave us the beatitudes.
Guidelines for a faithful life.
May we strive to always imitate Your ways.
Lead us to eternal salvation.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment