Monday, November 25, 2019


Trust and Faith

   “So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus; but when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, ‘Lord, save me.’”  (Matt 14: 29 – 30)

   When Peter stepped out of the boat and began walking on water he trusted in Jesus.  When he became concerned for his life, his trust and his faith faltered.  He began to sink.

   Peter’s example is one that comes to mind often when I consider my faith and how much trust I have.  Would I have the faith to walk on water if Jesus should call me?  Or would I, like Peter, lose faith and fear for my life?  I’m not sure what the answer is but I would hope that I would continue to trust in my Lord and have faith that He has dominion over all things, including the winds and the waves.

   I think of my life and the ups and downs I’ve experienced.  We all have our crosses to bear and they can challenge our faith in the Lord.  There have been times when I’ve questioned God and His purpose.  When trust and faith is tested by great tragedy it can be hard to persevere.  Our troubles can consume us, overcoming our trust.  It’s then that we will begin to sink just as Peter did.

   My answer is prayer.  Prayer that even though I can’t understand His purpose, God will give me the strength to continue in faith and trust in Him in all things.  If I try to explain or make sense of it I fail; if I relinquish it to God He grants peace and solace.

   I suspect there will always be times when maintaining trust and faith will be difficult.  By offering those times to Him in prayer, I can unburden myself and He will give me calm in the stormy seas.

Lord, You are always here.
You beckon me to come to You in faith.
In trust I give myself to You.
Increase my faith and trust I pray.

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment