Sunday, November 3, 2019


In the World, Not of the World

   I spent the weekend on retreat in a Benedictine Abby.  It was led by the monks who live at the Abby helping us better understand Benedictine spirituality.  It was an experience I will always treasure.

   The ways of the monks are much slower and peaceful than the ways of the world.  Mass is filled with Gregorian Chant and incense.  The prayers and responses are sung as they have been for hundreds of years.  The rush of today’s world is set aside and attention is paid to the proper respect and honor given to God in worship.  When it is time to gather for prayer throughout the day all else is set aside.  There is no hurry to get through the prayers; the prayers are the sole focus.

   This is a way of life that I respect and admire.  Even though I am not called to join the Brothers, I am called to this type of prayer life.  This retreat helped me understand that I can live my life in the spirit of St. Benedict in my own home, with my family and friends.

   This weekend gave me many examples of living the monastic way of life in the secular world.  My desire is to practice the ways of Benedictine spirituality even though not in the monastery.  This weekend was intended to help me better accomplish that.  I am strengthened by the experience.

   I am blessed to have had this opportunity and thank God for the gifts of the weekend.  I will return often to the Abby to renew the spirit of St. Benedict within me.

Father, You teach us in so many ways.
Thank you for the blessings You have given me.
Help me to live my life for You.
To live in the world, but not of the world.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment