Tuesday, July 13, 2021

 A Light Silent Sound 

   “There was a strong and violent wind rending the mountains and crushing the rocks before the Lord – but the Lord was not in the wind; after the wind, an earthquake – but the Lord was not in the earthquake; after the earthquake, fire – but the Lord was not in the fire; after the fire, a light silent sound.” (1 Kings 11 -12) 

   This is one of my favorite passages of scripture.  It reminds me that God is not always easy to hear or recognize, He sometimes comes in quiet unassuming ways, such as a light silent sound.

   Over time I’ve grown to love silent time with the Lord.  Time spent in prayer or perhaps in silence, contemplating all He has given me in this life.  Time to thank Him and remember that I am not worthy of His many gifts, but He gives them out of love.

   Too many times I think we want the Lord to speak loudly to us, to shake us up and make us listen.  I believe that occurs sometimes, but I think more often it is far less obvious.  I must listen closely to hear the Lord and learn His path for me.

   It’s important for me to remember that all I do, for the Lord or against Him is a choice.  I must decide and should I decide wrong God will let me know, but He will never demand that I change.  Again, I must listen closely, He speaks to the heart not the ear.

   When I pay close attention, when I block out worldly concerns and desires, in the quiet I can hear the light silent sound of God. 

You speak in whispers.

I must listen closely.

Guide me on the right path.

Open my heart to hear You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment