Wednesday, July 28, 2021

 Seeking Perfection 

    “For there is no distinction; all have sinned and are deprived the glory of God.  They are justified freely by his grace through the redemption in Jesus Christ.” (Romans 3: 22 – 24) 

   I believe that the pursuit of perfection is my responsibility as a Christian.  I also believe that it is a pursuit that can never be achieved in this world.

   Since I know that perfection is not possible in this life, I must accept the fact that no matter how hard I try or what I may accomplish, I will fail in my pursuit.  Perfection is of God and only in the life to come can it be realized.

   That does not mean, however, that I should just give up and not continue to seek perfection.  I believe my Lord wants me to do the best I can in this world even though it will always be flawed.  He knows that I can never be perfect but asks that I continue to try.  He will support me in those efforts and forgive me when I fail.

   When asked which commandment was the greatest, Jesus replied, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.” (Mark 12: 30).  But He didn’t stop there, he added, “The second is this: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. (Mark 12: 31).

   To love God as Jesus commanded and to love my neighbor as myself is as close as I will ever come to perfection in this world and even in that I will fail.  But I must try. 

No one is perfect but You Lord.

My life is one of sin.

I desire to be perfect but can’t.

Lead me to the perfection that is You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment