Monday, July 5, 2021

 Serving God 

   “Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine you did for me.” (Matt 25: 40) 

   How am I to serve a God who needs nothing?  What can I give to a God who created all things including myself?  I want to serve Him but there’s nothing He needs and certainly nothing I have that He needs.

   I can serve Him by serving others.  From the many blessings He has given me I can give to others in need whether it be food, clothing, or money.  I may not be able to do great things to help others, but I can certainly do what I am capable of with love and because they too are a child of God.  As St. Mother Teresa of Calcutta said, “It’s not about how much you do, but how much love you put into what you do that counts.”

   In serving Him I must also keep in mind that I am not to serve myself in the process.  To me this means that whatever I do cannot bring credit or glory to myself.  If I do it to seek recognition or praise, I’m doing it for myself, not for God.  Jesus said, “When you give alms, do not blow a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets to win the praise of others.  Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.” (Matt 6: 2).

   The more I read scripture, the more I contemplate serving my God, the more I come to understand that it is in loving that I can best serve Him.  He has no need of anything, but I believe He is pleased by a heart full of love for Him and the least of His brothers. 

Your love is the greatest gift.

Help me share that gift with others.

Fill me with love for You and for all. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment