Friday, July 23, 2021

 Good Soil 

   “And some seed fell on good soil, and when it grew, it produced fruit a hundredfold.” (Luke 8: 8) 

   Anyone who has farmed, raised a garden, or even maintained house plants knows the value of the soil in which they are planted.  Soil lacking in nourishment or other nutrients will not support the plant’s growth. 

   Once planted the soil must be tended to produce the desired results.  Weeds than can choke out the plant must be uprooted.  Fertilizer may necessary, more so in some soils than others.  But what type of fertilizer can be used on the heart?

   For me, the Mass and the Sacraments of the Catholic Church are the best fertilizers for my spiritual growth.  They strengthen me in my faith, urge me to try my best to avoid sin, and offer me forgiveness when my efforts fail.  I look to the Eucharist, the body, blood, soul, and divinity of my Lord Jesus Christ as the ultimate source of nutrition for my soul.

   Other sources of enrichment of soul are readily available as well, holy scripture, the writings of the saints and great theologians, and, most importantly, prayer.  Without prayer the seed planted in my soul will surely die; it is the sunshine and rain that nourishes me and the word that lives within me.

   Accepting Jesus as my Lord is not an event, it is a process. It is a journey from earthly desires to those of heaven.  It is a tending of the word planted within.  When the soil is good, the fruit will be plentiful. 

Lord fill my soul with Your word.

That I may tend the garden You plant.

Nourish me with Your blessings.

That I may produce the fruit You desire. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment