Thursday, July 8, 2021

 Poor in Spirit 

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (Matt 5: 3) 

   I sometimes wonder exactly what “poor in spirit” means.  I don’t think it has much if anything to do with financial wealth.  It can’t mean a poverty of spirit within because I can’t see how that would lead to the kingdom of heaven.

   For me, poverty of spirit means not being caught up in the ways of the world.  I need to set my priorities above earthly things and not become enthralled with the pleasures of this sinful world.  My sights need to be not on this world so much as the next.

   But it also means that I must recognize that all I have in this world is a gift, a gift that I am not worthy of.  My loyalty can not be to the gift but to the one who gave it, God.  Should I lose everything today, my life would still go on and my soul would still be in the care of a merciful God.

   In a prayer I often say there is the line, “Whatever I have or possess You have bestowed upon me:  I give it all back to you and surrender it wholly to be governed by Your will.  Give me love for You alone along with your grace, and I am rich enough and ask for nothing more.”  If I can sincerely mean those words, I believe I will be poor in spirit. 

Lord, thank You for Your many blessings.

I am unworthy of Your love and Your gifts.

Make me poor in spirit.

Let me know in that in You alone are true riches. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment