Friday, July 16, 2021

 Humility 

   “Who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God something to be grasped.  Rather, he emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, coming in human likeness; and found human in appearance, he humbled himself, becoming obedient to death, even death on a cross. (Phil 2: 6 – 8) 

   When I read these words describing the humility of our Lord Jesus Christ, it encourages me to try to make humility part of my life.  The Son of God gave up His glory for a while to offer salvation to me and to all the world.  How can I not humble myself before such love and self-sacrifice?

   Throughout His earthly life Jesus was the perfect example of humility.  He chose to be born of our Blessed Mother as an infant, totally dependent upon another for His very life.  He chose Joseph, a simple carpenter, as His earthly father.  He lived His life as any other child, obeying His parents, depending on them for His well-being.

   In adulthood He did all He did with love and humility.  He decried sinfulness but never attacked the sinner, only offering them forgiveness.  Before the Sanhedrin He subjected Himself to lies and false accusations, never defending Himself or returning the attacks. 

   Before Pilate He remained silent, never rebuking those who had accused Him, only assuring Pilate that His kingdom was not of this world.  Finally, on the cross He accepted a horrible death to pay the price for my sins and the sins of the world.  Even on the cross His concern was not for Himself, but for those who persecuted and crucified Him, praying, “Father, forgive them, they know not what they do.” (Luke 6: 23 – 24).

   I can never live my life with the love and humility with which Jesus lived, but I can pray that He grant me the grace of humility and love for all. 

Lord, grant me humility.

Make me gentle.

Make me loving.

Let me never grow proud. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment